Rapido is excited to announce the next in our series of classic ALCo locomotives: the ALCo FA-1.
Between January 1946 and October 1950 a total of 440 FA-1s and 240 FB-1s were built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo) and their Canadian subsidiary, the Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW). They were originally sold to twenty-five railroads in the US, Canada and Mexico. The FA-1 (and its matching booster, the FB-1) was rated at 1500 horsepower and was designed primarily as a freight hauler.
In a market that was becoming dominated by EMD products, the FA-1 came in a distant second due in part to reliability issues with its rushed-to-market 244 prime mover. Still, they were popular with several roads and could be found at the head of freights into the late 1960s.
Following on to our FPA-4, FA-2 and PA loco models, our new FA-1 continues the Rapido tradition for accurate ALCo cab units with unsurpassed detail.
Rapido’s new HO scale FA-1 and FB-1 feature:
- Correct nose and windshield contours
- Flat or angled number boards as appropriate
- Dynamic and non-dynamic brake versions
- Air- or water-cooled turbo exhaust stacks
- Etched side and fan screens
- Heavy, die-cast chassis
- 5-pole motor with dual flywheels
- Operating headlights, class lights and back-up lights
- Full underbody piping and conduit
- Separate free-standing grab irons and handrails
- Many railroad-specific details installed or included
- Full, multi-color cab interior
- DC/Silent (21-pin DCC Ready) or DC/DCC/Sound (featuring ESU LokSound) options
- Accurate sounds
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.