- Two different bodies
- Wire and plastic handrails, stirrup steps, ladders and underbody details
- Factory applied ladders, stirrup steps, and wire grab
- Separately applied brake gear including brake wheel, air reservoir, and brake cylinder
- 100-ton trucks with 36â€ wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- Fully assembled
- McHenry scale knuckle spring couplers
- Highly-detailed, injection molded body
- Painted and printed for realistic decoration
- Weighted for trouble-free operation
- Window packaging for easy viewing
- Interior plastic blister safely holds the model for convenient storage
- Minimum radius: 18â€
PROTOTYPE AND BACKGROUND INFO:
Thrall was a recognizable freight car manufacturing company in the 1960s to 1980s. Their designs still carry on today. The company focused on building specialized freight cars including high side gondolas, and rotary-dump gondolas for coal. In the 1980s, Thrall acquired five competing railcar manufacturers and became the largest such manufacturer of these cars in the United States.
In the 1960s, coal haulage shifted from open hopper cars to high-sided gondolas. Using a gondola, the railroads are able to haul a larger amount of coal per car since gondolas do not include the equipment needed for unloading. However, since these cars do not have hatches for unloading the products shipped in them, railroads must use rotary car dumpers (mechanisms that hold a car against a short section of track as the car and track are slowly rotated upside down to empty the car) or other means to empty them.
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article â€œGondola (rail)â€ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondola_(rail);it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CCBYSA. You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.
|COUPLER STYLE:||McHenry Scale Knuckle|
|Minimum Age Recommendation:||14 years|
|Is Assembly Required:||No|
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.