total of 300 cars were built by the PRR at Altoona between July 17, 1948,
and October 11, 1948, in number series 253500-253799. Welded construction
was used for both the superstructure and the underframe. The material was
high tensile steel. The cars had a plain welded roof and 14 roof hatches,
each with 3 by 3 opening. The metal running boards were Apex Tri-Lok. There
were four bulkheads, creating five bays, each having two hopper openings
measuring 13" by 24". The hopper bottom mechanism was furnished by
Enterprise Railway Equipment Co. The horizontal sliding doors were hand
operated, using a rack and pinion. The trucks were Class 2E-F22A, made by
American Steel Foundries with Type A-3 Ride Control. The couplers were Type
"E" with Imperial rotary bottom operated uncoupling devices.
There were four PRR paint and lettering schemes on this car. First was the
Circle Keystone (CK) as delivered in Freight Car Color (FCC) with white
lettering. Second, some shopped cars received the gray body color with the
CK scheme in black. Third, some had the Shadow Keystone (SK) with gray body
color with black lettering. And lastly, the Plain Keystone (PK) scheme with
gray body color with black lettering was also used.
addition to the PRR schemes, they were also painted in both Penn Central
(gray and green) and Conrail (gray and red) schemes.