Rapido’s break-out model in 2012 was The Canadian, a complete 10-car train which cost our then-very-small company so much money we almost went out of business! But it was a phenomenal success, and since then our customers have been eager to expand their trains or add to their fleet.
To that end, it is our pleasure to announce the Superior Stainless HO scale Budd 'Manor' Sleeper, also known as a 4-4-5-1: Four sections, four roomettes, five double bedrooms and one compartment.
All 42 'Manor' Sleepers were delivered to Canadian Pacific in 1954 and 1955. They were named after prominent figures in English Canadian history. The 'Manor' Sleepers were transferred to VIA Rail Canada in 1978 and are still in use today. They form the backbone of the sleeper fleet used on The Canadian, with high season consists regularly including eight 'Manor' Sleepers and sometimes as many as 12! The 'Manor' Sleepers have recently received a cosmetic refurbishment and are expected to remain in service for a long time.
Seaboard Air Line tacked on an order for six cars of the same plan. Their cars were delivered starting in November 1954 and are almost identical to the Canadian versions. Amtrak operated similar cars.
Just like the Superior Stainless Budd Baggage-Dorms, the Budd 'Manor' Sleeper is the most detailed Budd sleeper model you will find in any scale. The full, multi-colour interior is really shown off beautifully by the track-powered interior lighting. It is so inviting that you will want to shrink down to HO scale and go for a long-distance ride on board your model.
The 'Manor' Sleeper and the Baggage-Dorm will be produced together, and we will announce the preorder deadline when we are ready to start production, but we anticipate it will be in the next few months. Don’t delay! Please get your order in ASAP.
The Rapido Trains HO scale Budd 'Manor' Sleeper features:
- Realistic stainless steel finish
- Track-powered interior lighting compatible with DC and DCC layouts
- Full underbody detail including separate air, steam and electrical lines
- Separate metal grab irons, stirrups and end gates
- Accurate D22 brake equipment and piping
- Super-detailed 41-NDO-11 trucks with end frames
- Full, multi-color interior detail
- 3D CP beaver shields on CPR models - not just a printed picture!
- Sprung diaphragms
- Metal Macdonald-Cartier knuckle couplers
- Minimum 22" radius curves are recommended