FOR ACTUAL ROAD NUMBER, SEE PRODUCT TITLE.
EMD’s E-8 (and successor, E-9) were the quintessential North American passenger locomotive of the 1950s through the 1970s. 450 E8A and 46 E8B units were produced, with an additional 100 E9A and 44 E9B locos following. The first E8s were delivered in 1949, with the last E9 being produced in 1964. These units pulled passenger trains from coast to coast, and later became the backbone of Amtrak’s fleet in its early days. Many more were later used in commuter service before being retired. Today several units live on in museums and tourist railroads throughout North America.
What makes Rapido’s E8 and E9 models different than every E8 or E9 that has come before? Simple – we’re doing it right. Every E8 model out there is a “best guess” as to the nose, roof and windshield contours of the real thing. At Rapido’s we don’t believe in making guesses. That’s why we commissioned a 3D laser scan of Union Pacific E8 #942 at the Southern California Railway Museum. A 3D scan ensures that we get those impossible-to-guess contours bang-on accurate. Our engineers trace the scan and shrink it down to HO scale.
Rapido’s E8 model features:
- 3D laser-scanned body shell
- Accurate nose and roof contours
- Seven different noses
- Three different back ends
- Two different sides – with and without lifting lug covers
- Three different steam generator options
- 36” fan, 48” fan or non-dynamic brake options
- Single- or dual-headlight configurations
- Freight or passenger pilots
- Three styles of side grills
- Original porthole sides or rebuilt with blanked sides (including unique variations)
- Skirted or non-skirted fuel tanks
- Original square and sloped or Hyatt roller bearing journal boxes
- Heavy die-cast chassis
- Smooth running drive system with all wheels powered
- Complete lighting effects – headlights, class lights, backup lights, ground lights, cab lights and more
- Numerous road-specific detail parts in both plastic and etched metal
Below is a list of just SOME of the road-specific detail parts that we are producing:
- Four different sand filler hatch styles
- PRR Train Phone antenna
- Southern rooftop air tanks
- Southern large-capacity water tanks
- UP snow shields
- Cab-side walkways (2 styles)
- Pilot MU hoses
- ATS shoes
- PRR Nose lifting lugs
- Three different radio antenna
- Six different headlight/warning light inserts
- Various bug screens, mirrors, and wind deflectors
- Numerous grab iron configurations
- Several horn styles (in brass)
- And probably more that we’ve forgotten!
Each E8A & E8B locomotive will have road specific details applied. Details are listed with each product. You can see a visual representation of the details by clicking the button below.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.